Laboratory Safety Workshop 2018
Hazard and Risk Management in the Laboratory
May 6-8, 2018
This workshop provided a forum for researchers and EH&S experts to work together for the common goal of improving laboratory safety. Speakers and panelists shared their perspectives on necessities and challenges of identifying hazards and managing risks in research and teaching laboratories. Discussions included current practices in academic, industry, and government laboratories. Insight was provided by the American Chemical Society, the Chemical Safety Board and the Argonne National Laboratory. Participants had the opportunity to develop action items in small, interactive working groups aimed at specific areas of hazard and risk management as outlined in the program. A poster session provided a forum to showcase innovative work in general or specific areas of laboratory safety. The outcomes from this workshop will be published as a Proceedings manuscript to promote best safety practices. Workshop video
The specific objectives of the Workshop were:
- Identify best practices for educating scientists and EH&S professionals in hazard identification and risk management across different research disciplines.
- Identify best practices for educating undergraduate students and teaching assistants in hazard identification and risk management in teaching laboratories.
- Explore ways in which academia can learn and benefit from industry and National laboratories in improving hazard identification and risk management.
- Driving Chemical Safety Change: Lessons from CSB's First 20 years by Kristen M. Kulinowski (Board member of the Chemical Safety Board) Presentation is available for view (PDF, video)
- A Systems Approach to Laboratory Safety by Nancy Leveson (Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics, MIT) Presentation is available for view (PDF, video)
- Alice Young (Associate Vice President-Research, Texas Tech University) Presentation is available for view (PDF, video)
- Gene Block, UCLA Chancellor
- ERM- Enterprise Risk management or Every Researcher is a Risk Manager by Cheryl Lloyd ( Associate Vice-President and Chief Risk Officer, University of California Office of the President) Presentation is available for view (PDF, video)
- Safety in Science: Dealing with the Unknown by Ted Krause ( Chemical Engineer and Department Head, Argonne National Laboratory) Presentation is available for view (PDF, video)
- ACS: Translation our Core Value of Safety into Action by Allison A. Campbell (President of the American Chemical Society) Presentation is available for view (PDF, video)
- A Roadmap to SAFETY CULTURE on a University Campus by Mark McLelland (Vice President for Research and Dean of the School of Graduate Studies, Utah State University) Presentation is available for view (PDF, video)
Inaugural safety leadership award:
The UC Center for Laboratory Safety presented its inaugural Safety Leadership Award to Lawrence Gibbs, the Associate Vice-Provost for Environmental Health and Safety at Stanford University. The Safety Leadership Award recognizes someone who has had national impact on improving laboratory safety for academic researchers.
Workgroup sessions: Workshop participants brainstormed ideas for risk management. Presentations are available for view.
Panel discussion on Risk management
Michael Blayney (Executive Director, Research Safety, Northwestern University)
Brent Cooley (Deputy Director, EHS, UC Office of the President)
Marta Gmurczyk (Manager of Safety Programs, ACS)
Mary Kirchhoff (Education Division Director, ACS)
Craig Merlic (Executive Director, UC Center for Laboratory Safety)
Derek Newcomer (Chief, Technical Assistance Branch, Division of Occupational Health and Safety, NIH)
Imke Schroeder (Senior Research Project Manager, UC Center for Laboratory Safety)
Ken Smith (Executive Director, EH&S, UC Office of the President)
Nancy Wayne (Chair of Advisory Board, UC Center for Laboratory Safety
We thank the following companies for sponsoring the workshop