Dr. Krause is a world-renowned thought leader on organizational leadership and culture, employee behavior, safety, man-made disasters, and catastrophic incidents in a wide variety of workplace, healthcare, and environmental settings.
- Over the last 35 years, Tom has been an entrepreneur, consultant, and frequent author and speaker on topics such as culture change, cognitive bias, leadership development, executive decision-making, behavioral safety, and patient safety. Dr. Krause is a Founder and Partner of Krause Bell Group, whose mission is to develop innovative approaches to safety performance improvement. Krause Bell Group brings together experts from industry, academia, and government to explore and develop effective means to achieve consistently greater levels of safety performance.
- Tom founded BST (Behavioral Science Technology, Inc.) in 1979 and was its Chairman until selling the company to DEKRA in 2012. Under Tom’s leadership, BST conducted over 2,300 consulting projects in 60 countries. In 2004, following the Columbia space shuttle tragedy, BST was selected out of 41 organizations to design a safety culture change initiative for NASA. Tom led the BST team and personally coached NASA’s top leaders.
- Tom has authored five books on safety performance improvement, culture change, and leadership, including 7 Insights into Safety Leadership, a ground-breaking work on safety leadership and culture. Tom is a sought-after consultant and spokesman on leadership development, culture change, and safety for the media and conferences worldwide. His articles have appeared in the Wall Street Journal, Forbes, USA Today, Directors and Boards, The Journal of Patient Safety, Chief Executive, Hospital & Health Networks, Industrial Safety & Hygiene News, Patient Safety & Quality Healthcare, Trustee, Professional Safety, EHS Today, and SafetyScience.
- Tom serves as Chairman of the Board of Geo-Links, one of the top-rated Internet service providers in California as well as The Ojai Chautauqua, a community forum for Ventura County, California. He is President of The Agora Foundation, a non-profit organization that provides seminars and other educational opportunities to people who are seeking to further their education without the commitments a return to school would involve. He serves on the Community Advisory Board for Quality Assurance & Patient Safety at Community Memorial Hospital (Ventura, CA), on the Board of Visitors and Governors of St. John’s College (Annapolis, MD and Santa Fe, NM), and on the Boards of Directors of Thomas Aquinas College in Santa Paula and California State University at Channel Islands.
- Tom has a Ph.D. in Psychology from the University of California Irvine, MAs from California State University Long Beach and St. John’s College of Santa Fe, NM, and a BA from California State University Long Beach.